Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tiny Smocking

Smocked Christening Gown on Miniature Baby Doll, circa 1982


Two strands of floss were used to smock the top.

Smocking was done freehand..no pleating...just picking up fabric.
Buttonholes were worked for "sleeve" opening.
Boullion roses and lazy daisy leaves with two strands
of floss were added to finish this little ditty.


Recently we unpack our daughter's dollhouse so Miss Emma could play with it. Well, she evidently has taken on the characteristics of her older brother where demolition is the most fun. In the process of trying to put things back together, I ran across this little baby doll scattered to the winds. I had forgotten that I had made it for Aimee and quite frankly, I'm amazed that it has survived. It was a dollhouse accessory that was played with for many years.
The tiny doll in the blue gingham dress....Goldilocks....is made from the plastic cake decorating dolls. She is painted with acrylic paint and finished with "Delft" lacquer. Her hair is made of DMC floss. Curls are wrapped around wire and "set" with glue. Her lace "petticoat" is French cotton.

My question to everyone is:
"What is the smallest thing you've smocked?"
Happy Smocking,
Gwen

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh how adorable!! I love it! I also failed to see your previous post before now and ~wow!!~ that little smocked outfit is absolutely beautiful and congratulations!

Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

Carolyn said...

p.s. Miss Emma is beautiful! :)

Laurie said...

Hmm, I can't remember what the smallest thing is I have smocked - I would guess preemie gowns, since I sew for Threads of Love. The little doll is darling in her tiny smocked dress - looks like a perfect dolly for a little girl to take to church!

Jan M said...

What a precious little doll! I need to smock something small like that for a naked little doll I have. Until then, I guess the smallest thing is a little lattice smocked angel tassle in a class with Laura Jenkins Thompson.

Smocking with Gwen said...

Laurie....What is the smallest pair of sock you've smocked? I need to make some.

Jan...the Angel Tassle sounds like a fun project. It seems that tassles are everywhere now. Thanks.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Hi Gwen,
I've never smocked anything miniature, so I guess the Baby Lambs smocked booties would be my answer. One suggestion: I love reading your blog, but it's hard to tell when you have a new post, because it is not at the top. Just something to consider. Thanks for the inspiration and beautiful photos!

Rettabug said...

This teeny-tiny little doll dress would have required 4+ readers for me to complete, Gwen! LOL It is simply adorable!!

The smallest thing I have smocked would be hairbows. MickieD, from Sew Forum sent me a few pleated ones before I owned my own pleater & I did some very basic cable stitches & a bullion rose on them. Cute but DGD, Ms. C., wouldn't leave bows in her hair. :/

As for the Napoleon bee flatware, I say "GO FOR IT"!! We're not getting any younger! It has a very hefty weight to it & I know you would love it. Its only going to go UP in price & next year you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't buy it on sale. You can always turn around & sell it later, probably for more than its going for now. :D

Anonymous said...

Where do you get the smocking graph paper?