Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Little Storybook Smocking

I just had to share this today. Last summer started this event with a little smocked outfit for Disney. However, the Cinderella and Belle ballgowns were Emma's choice to wear. Eventually, I did get photos of Miss Emma wearing this design. And so with this, a normal, not so special day can turn into something special!

Today started out pretty much the same....nothing special. Spent the morning weeding the wild strawberry plants out of my iris bed. A bit disappointed that my irises were not the tall bearded variety but still quite pretty...antique yellow and cream. I love that the wild bunnies love the strawberry plants but I do not love what those darling little creatures do to my plants! Just so you know, I don't have any March Hares or White Rabbits carrying pocket watches in my garden. But then who does? And then my not-so-special, normal day changed....


I did a little watering in the hopes that it might make my azaleas finally open up and decided to quickly gather the mail before I came in. There was a big manila envelope that was full of what I suspected were magazines. Hoffman Media was my big hint! Hummmm...



Surprise, Surprise!!!.....there in the blue issue is my design.

Kathy and everyone at Sew Beautiful did a wonderful job and I am so pleased.



I have to say at times, my "senior moments" can border on ridiculous. Oh, my! Is this the issue of Sew Beautiful that my design is in? Yes it was! For me this was so exciting as this design was one that was taken from a design I did many years ago. With some encouragement from a smocking friend, Janet Gilbert, I had submitted it and was so pleased when it was accepted. It's always nice when someone likes what you love to do. "Thanks again Janet!"

I love the article but love how Miss Emma looks in this little outfit! She has become my little motivator.

Happy Smocking,
Gwen

14 comments:

Jan M said...

Such a sweet smocking design, on an even sweeter little girl! It will be wonderful to see one of your charming designs in print again. Congratulations!

Goosegirl said...

GWEN!!!! I Love love love it!! Congrats on the SB article. The design is just wonderful, and you know how I feel about "Alice". Love her! And Emma is such a darling girl. Perfect in every way. Congratulations you talented girl, you!

Laurie said...

I think it's absolutely darling and I hope to have a little girl to sew for one day b/c this is one design that will never get out-dated!

seamsgreat said...

Glad I could give a gentle push when you needed it! :-)

I love your Alice design. ~janet

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

I just found your blog through Jan.
I am a beginner in the smocking field... but a long time reader of sew beautiful. So it is a great pleasure to see your work!
"Alice" looks wonderful, so are the other princesses.

Smocking with Gwen said...

Thank you for such sweet comments...they are so much appreciated! I hope I can become a "regular" contributor to Sew Beautiful but the competition is fierce!

Lee said...

Bea-u-tiful! I love your smocking designs! Please tell me that I can purchase the Disney Princesses somewhere!

Rettabug said...

Gwen, I am just delighted to have found your blog! I found you through Jan's BessieMary blog.
I have drooled over your projects for years & was thrilled to see your work in this blue issue of SB. Congratulations!! Absolutely gorgeous work!

Emily M said...

I loved this design in SB. I've purchased the Jackson pattern and fabric to stitch this for my granddaughter. Would you please explain in a future blog post how to adapt the pattern from a pleated front to the smocking? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Ashley Moran said...

I love, love, LOVE this! Is the Smocking plate in SB? If not, do you know where I can purchase it? We are taking my children to Disney this Thanksgiving, and having breakfast with Alice, and this would be absolutely perfect! Any help finding your plate would be greatly appreciated! Ashleygmoran@gmail.com

Smocking with Gwen said...

Ashley.....so glad you like it. It's available on the Sew Beautiful website. Yeah...the complete design plate....for free!!! Posting link below...let me know if you have a problem.

http://www.sewbeautifulmag.com/freebies/pdfs/MilnerStorybook2.pdf

Happy Smocking,
Gwen

Unknown said...

I would love to know how you adapted the Jackson pattern to include the small smocked front!

Pam B. , said...

If you still have the PDF file of the smocking graph , I would love a copy .
Pambarber@cox.net
Thank you for sharing , Best , Pam - Yorktown , VA

dailablanc said...

Gambling Addiction in Las Vegas - DrmCD
The Gambling Addiction Association has 경기도 출장안마 the most serious problem of any other organization. Gambling is a 정읍 출장마사지 problem 경기도 출장안마 problem 당진 출장안마 caused by problem gamblers  Rating: 포항 출장안마 4 · ‎3 reviews