Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Emma's Easter Bunny Garden



Emma's bunny bishop was one that I have had in mind for quite some time.




A design that looks very much like spring.



The most "challenging" part was actually keeping the number of
different elements to a minimum. There are two bunnies, six open-faced daisy
flowers that circle the neckline, simple "tulips" and tiny blue bullion butterflies.



I love creating new designs and wanted this bishop to be a "Happy Easter" design. From picking the pastel color palette to a very simple fabric, it was an exercise in practicality. This bunny design for Emma was quite frustrating because she really prefers her play clothes to smocked dresses. So this was not a dress that I could worry about when playing with her brother.


Two mirror image bunnies are in a garden of daisies. The butterflies are worked on every other daisy with one butterfly set off-center between the bunnies. The only part of this type design that has always frustrated me is that when I create a mirror image of a design, I usually have a problem with it actually looking like the same, but reversed, image. I do know that it's similar to when I have done sculptures and the only way to find the balance in symmetry is to look at the image in reverse through a mirror. I guess it's one of the those left-brain, right-brain things.....

Happy Smocking,
Gwen


Special Note: I will graph this design and post at a later date. With the slow market for smocking design plates, I have no problem sharing instructions and graphs on my blog.

13 comments:

Jan M said...

So sweet! I especially love the blue butterflies!

Sewconsult said...

Jan took the words right out of my mouth. Each element is so cute. The daisy are perfect.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Jeannie B. said...

This is such a cute design and looks perfect on the bishop. You must have great math skills too!

Cindy said...

I love this!!! It is so precious and the colors are perfect for Spring.

Karen said...

Beautiful design! I love it and REALLY look forward to the graph. How nice of you to share it here with us!

Ellie Inspired said...

I'm looking forward to the graph too! That is so nice of you to make that available for us. It will be perfect for an Easter dress for my dd.

janie said...

Hello! Love your designs!

Can you help me with something? On your pink bishop with bunnies dress, your last row is a fairly straight smocking row. I always thought you had to have a design that resulted in points in order to release the pleats? I have seen other pre-made smocking dresses and they did the same thing. Can you give me more details? Thanks! Janie in KY

Ms. Elaine said...

I have just found your blog and am so excited. These bunnies are the most adorable and the flowers just make it more special. I would love to know when the design is available for purchase. Thanks for all your creativity! I was browsing looking for some "princess" smocking as my daughter in law would something along that theme for my granddaughter.

JoanneM said...

Hello Gwen,
Where could I purchase this bunny plate?
Thank you
Joanne

Ann said...

I love your design and it's adorable on your grandaughter. Where can I purchase a copy of it?

Skidmoca said...

Hello! Is it possible to buy the design/plate for the Easter bunny garden? My mom used to smock dresses for me as a child and now she's going to make one for my daughters first Easter and I love this pattern. Thank you! Claire

Angela Lee said...

I have looked and looked for this plate and cannot find. I would love to buy it if you could point me in the right direction. I love this design!! Thank you.

Vicki said...

Can you notify me when the plate is available for the mirror bunnies?