Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Designing isn't always easy.....




It's been ages since I posted anything that I thought was "worthy" of anyone's attention.   Lately I seem to find myself running away from anything creative and I'm not at all sure why.  EXCEPT that my sewing space is still under construction as everything seems to take priority over the drudgery of manual labor!  I am ever so hopeful that I will be back in my space soon!  That being said, I do have a project that I must get done!

Once again, the gremlins are hard at work and what I thought to be a pretty easy design has become the most frustrating of tasks.  First, knowing that I was spending a few weeks in Tennessee to help my daughter get through the last few weeks of classes and her finals, I packed my supplies....any I didn't have, I could buy in Tennessee....right?     Well, I packed a pleater than I'd never used before....my.Mother-in-Law's Pullen pleater.   Have you ever NEEDED A PLEATED INSERT RIGHT NOW-only to have the unfortunate luck to either have dull needles or something the gremlins are having a laugh fest  about!  After breaking 6 needles trying to pleat an insert, the GREMLINS WON......almost.  I did manage to pleat enough of a panel to work on a design if I can only get my mind off tracking down and doing away with those gremlins!!!!    

The new design is getting done....at a much slower pace. My graph paper actually came in handy for this design.   I normally just put needle and thread  to fabric to begin a design idea.  Right now, I'm pretty sure what the design will center around and am trying to get some cute inspiration for borders because I  always have trouble with that ever so important design element that frames the design.   I am, however, one that thinks if the central design is so busy and "important", I will  not take the emphasis away by creating a complicated border.   Back to work for me...... please wish  me luck!! 



5 comments:

Goosegirl said...

GWEN!!!!!! I am so glad you posted!!!! I can't wait to see the pretties you are making!!!

I just realized that the floral print in in your blog background is very similar to the fabric I used for my smocked Natalie dress for Sew Beautiful. I loooooooooove this fabric so much.

It made me so happy to see your post. Hugs!
Sivje

Atticmag said...

Creating a design isn't the easiest thing. I always get inspiration from looking at historical art and architecture. Perhaps that's an idea you can use. Thanks for stopping by.

Jane

Patrice said...

I'm so excited that you are posting! I've been a fan of your designs since the beginning! I just saw your scarecrows in Sew Beautiful, and was reading your little bio and saw that they listed your website. I follow you on Pinterest too. You have excellent taste. :) Looking forward to reading more from you!

All Things Beautiful said...

I'm new to smocking (self taught) and in search of Disney inspired smocking plates. I found your blog while google searching, but I can't figure out if you have your design for sale or how to purchase. If you don't mind contacting me at allthingsbeautiful4@yahoo.com

Joyce E little said...

I have a Pullen pleater also and HATED it...It is not fabric friendly, even with Imperial and you cannot imagine how many needles I have broken. I even broke the turn knob and my husband replace it with a metal water faucet knob from Lowes so I would not break it again...Finally threw it away and got an Amanda Jane that I just love! I do not know when you posted this blog but just saw it and had to reply....

I am a smocker also but sat down with my embroidery machine and developed a simulated smocking stitch that works beautifully in Machine smocking. I was featured in Sew Beautiful in an article called Cyber Smocking...So many people who are not able to hand smock because of painful hands, use my designs and love them.

Thank you for reading my little thread and hope we run into each other via, Pinterest, agin one day.....happy to follow you.

Elizabeth
http://www.elizabethsembroideries.com